Communications Center

The Teton County Sheriff’s Office Communications Center provides dispatch services for the Teton County Sheriff’s Office, Jackson Police Department, Teton County Search and Rescue, Jackson Hole Fire and EMS, and the National Elk Refuge, as well as after hours dispatching for Grand Teton National Park.

The Communications Center is under the direction of Communications Manager Riclyn Betsinger and Communications Supervisors Alex Harper & Janene Ayer. The Communications Center is staffed with a minimum of two dispatchers twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. The center handles 911 calls for Teton County, routine calls for service, and administrative calls after hours for the sheriffs office, police department, and animal control.

The Communications Center is responsible for handling radio traffic on six different channels, answering multiple phone lines, monitoring activity of all patrol units, communicating with other communications centers around the state, entering and confirming warrants, as well as multiple other tasks.

Q & A

I need to speak with an officer but it is not an emergency. What number do I call?
307.733.2331 will put you in touch with a public safety/emergency dispatcher who will be able to take your information and have an officer respond.

When do I call 911?
911 should be dialed in emergency situations only. Examples include; medical emergencies, traffic collisions, Reddi reports (Report Every Drunk Driver Immediately) and other incidents when life or property is threatened. Do not hesitate to dial 911, if the public safety/emergency dispatcher determines your situation is not an emergency you may be asked to call back on the non emergency line, 307.733.2331.

What do I do if I accidently dial 911?
Stay on the line and advise the public safety/emergency dispatcher that you do not need any assistance. Please do not hang up as this may result in officers responding to the location of the call.

Is it safe to let my child play with a cell phone that is no longer activated?
No. Even though service has been disconnected the phone can still dial 911.

I need a copy of a police report. Who do I call?
You may request a copy of a police report Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm, except holidays, by calling the appropriate agency. If your incident was handled by the Sheriff’s Office, dial 307.733.4052. If your incident was handled by the police department, dial 307.733.1430.

I need to know the road conditions and closures. What number do I call?
1-888-WYO-ROAD is the Wyoming Department of Transportations automated telephone line that gives road conditions for all state routes in Wyoming. You may also visit the website at for information and to view web cameras along popular routes in the county and state.